Eating snacks are good especially to prevent you from taking too much carbohydrate that can worsen your blood sugar levels but you must know what type of snacks that can be taken. You must take healthy snacks to keep your blood sugar and energy stable throughout the day. Let see some healthy snack ideas below.
My recommendation is smart snacking that can help to control your body weight and to control your blood sugar levels. This is very crucial and you must follow closely.
1. Limit types of snacks that are rich in sugar like chips, cookies, candy, juice, sugary water and sodas. Excessive intake of these snacks may cause instant rise in your blood sugar and also may cause quick fatigue and hunger.
2. Combine healthy fat like nuts, butter, seeds or low protein like low-fat dairy with healthy source of carbohydrates such as vegetables, whole grains and fruits.
3. For slow digestion and more stable rise or fall in blood sugar, choose high fibre foods.
Below are a few Snack for Diabetics Examples:
- Plain, low-fat yoghurt topped with 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts (add non-caloric sweetener as needed).
- Carrots and hummus (hummus contains olive oil, another healthy fat source).
- A half-cup of low-fat cottage cheese and an apple or two.
- Whole-grain crackers with 1 to 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.
- Half a turkey sandwich on whole-wheat bread with mustard.
You are free to modify the above recipe that you might think suitable for you but remember to consult your doctor from time to time. Just bear in mind that having diabetes does not mean the end of the world. It is just that you need some discipline. You might have to let go some of your favourite foods and learn to eat healthier foods. Of course you need time to adapt to the new habit, but after a while you should be ok.